These meaty little treats are great starters for a dinner party.
To pressure cook:
1kg Ox Tail (or 500g ox cheeks)
Maldon salt flakes
2 tablespoons rapeseed oil and enough for deep frying
1 garlic clove
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1 star anise
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon gochugaru (red pepper powder)
100 grams plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
20 grams breadcrumbs
50 grams panko breadcrumbs
1 large egg
1 teaspoon gochujang paste (or depending on your spice taste)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1. Season the ox tail with with the salt.
2. Heat the oil in a pressure cooker on the high heat. Once hot add the ox tail and sear until brown on all sides. Remove from the pot and set aside on a plate.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the garlic, cloves, bay leaves, star anise, black peppercorns and gochugaru to the pot and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the ox tail back into the pot and top with water until all the meat is covered.
5. Turn the heat to high, put the lid on the pressure cooker and set to a high pressure. Cook for 30 minutes.
6. Release the pressure and remove the lid. The meat should be tender and easily be pulled off the bone.
7. Remove the pieces of meat from the pot, ensuring the liquids are drained off the meat. Place in a bowl and leave to cool slightly.
8. Using a fork or your fingers, strip off the meat from the bone avoiding any big lumps of fat.
9. Shape the meat into golf sized balls and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up before frying.
10. Heat the oil to 170°C in a deep fat fryer or a heavy based pot. Meanwhile, mix the flour, salt, pepper and paprika in a bowl.
11. In a separate bowl combine both types of breadcrumbs and beat the egg in a third bowl.
12. Once the oil is hot, roll each ox tail ball first into the flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs ensuring the whole ball is covered at each stage. Repeat for the remainder ox tail balls.
13. Place straight into the deep fat fryer basket and fry for 2-3 minutes until they all golden.
14. Remove from the fryer and place on kitchen towel to drain the oil.
15. In a small bowl, mix the gochujang paste with the mayonnaise. Serve with the croquettes immediately.